fly mama

Friday, February 03, 2006

Coming Clean


While a friend and I vented on the phone this morning, each discussing the other persons children and what both of us had possibly done to deserve the behavior and harsh words we are the recipients of-I realized something. I don’t think that this is a "misery loves company situation", but more of a "the edge is A LOT closer then we think, now throw me a line sister before I go overboard" situation. As we laughed at our abilities to act just like our children (her 6 year old and my 5 year old)-I found myself intrigued and baffled by our behavior and our readiness to share it with one another.
She declared that she had a horrible morning and found herself poking at her 6 year old, "you’re gonna be tardy, you’re gonna be tardy"-because her 6 year old wouldn’t get her booty moving to get to school. Now, I dare to openly admit that I have taunted my dear 5 year old in the same manner....hips swaying from side to side, finger waving in the air with a sing songy, "nah nah nah nah nah nah" thing happening. Is this okay? Am I doing any permanent harm here?
My husband has asked, "How many 5 year olds live in this house?" I think this behavior happens when we are getting close to that edge. We throw out life preservers to one another in the hopes that we can stop this silly behavior and yet we laugh at it hysterically-laughter IS the closest thing to crying after all.
And while I am coming clean on some of my childish behavior.........when my kids get upset over something (something small.....not something tear worthy where blood or bodily harm are involved) I sing "It’s the end of the world as we know it......" by REM. Okay...there’s more! When Peyton went through his "WHY?" phase and asked non-stop a million times a day....."Why? Why? Why?" I would sing that glorious Carpenter’s song (ARGH! I can’t believe I am admitting this!) "Why do bird’s suddenly appear......every time, you are near..." I did that so much to the poor kid that I think he thought it was a cool song and would sing it to dad (who found it annoying, more than entertaining!). OH! And I sing the circus theme music when I get SUPER stressed! Fine! One more thing......when they walk around saying, "Mom, mama...MOM!" I blast off into Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen...."Mamaaaaa....oooh oooh ooooh...." I am noticing a trend here.........I sing in some manner when I am getting close to the edge....I don’t have a good voice, so maybe I am trying to torture the poor darlings with my voice. Or maybe I am sending out a call to all those other mothers-maybe that horrible tone that I carry is just the pitch it has to be to send out an SOS.
Nonetheless-there you have it mom’s! Jump on in......there’s plenty-o-room in this boat! Don’t hang your head in shame at this behavior...no, I don’t think it’s the healthiest thing in the world for our little spud’s-but if it keeps us from going completely over the edge, go ahead-act like your kid.....sing a little song, do a little dance.
Hell, our mom’s will be down there if we do go over the edge......because you KNOW they did the same thing to us!!! Right, mom?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home