fly mama

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Spring Cleaning


I have this "Don’t talk to me until I have had my coffee" policy first thing in the morning. I can’t speak properly anyway-and in the morning I am a bit incoherent. I think it’s best for all parties involved that this be our policy. This morning was no exception, except Peyton stormed out of his room and said, "What the hell is going on?" I have noticed a shift in his language-he is attempting to use curse words in sentences to see what reaction they bring on......this morning earned him an arm grab and a reprimand....the coffee was still sinking in-only now it was sinking in with the word HELL coming out of my 5 year olds mouth-all at 7:15am. Tammy Wynette says it best in the song Kids Say the Darndest Things...she belts out, "My fourth grader just said a four letter word and it sure wasn't love!" I must admit that I have been told I talk like a truck driver......I try to curb it, but sometimes these "sentence enhancers" get the best of me. I throw them in where they don’t need throwing in-I admit it, the usage of these words is out of hand.....but what the hell am I supposed to do at this point? Peyton is learning what is acceptable and not acceptable. When I told him this morning that his language was not allowed-he stormed off muttering something-I think he called me an ass! However, I am unsure-so that one just slid by. We have threatened the bar of soap in the mouth, but with oatmeal and blueberry soap, I think he would think we were force feeding him breakfast! They might just taste as yummy as they smell-that would be my luck! Sometimes, on occasion, he makes up his own curse words....he alters the original word (slightly)-you can still tell what word he is trying to get away with saying. I know this is typical of this age (or so I have been warned)-but what do you do when the words are already there? They are out there...swimming in his little head, looking for ways to work themselves into his sentences-waiting........and then BAM! There they are, for all to hear.....I look like a bad mom for allowing it, I mean where else would my little angel pick up these words, right? I know he gets them from me.......I have told him to use other DESCRIPTIVE words, I have even suggested options......that seems so boring in comparison. What do you do when your kiddo is sitting on the couch, lets out a huge yawn and says, "DAMN, I’m tired!" He probably is......I know I am! Maybe we both need our mouths washed out with soap.....a spring cleaning of our vocabulary, if you will. I don’t know if it’ll work, but it just might wash out the bad taste I get in my mouth every time I hear him say something I KNOW he’s gotten from me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home